Tuesday, September 28, 2010

I am Lost in the Mire of the Words That I Seem to Need to Use on a Daily Basis


Filler words-or the overuse of filler words such as "um". Have you ever noticed how the word "um" becomes the principle part of the language most of us tend to speak? "Um" has become a filler word because we don't have in our mind yet what we want to say. So instead, we use some other kind of word to try to express our meaning.

I have started watching my language and realizing that I too am guilty of the same "literary transgression". And so, the word "so" is one of my really bad transgressions. That's probably my favorite transgression and I am presently working like a slave to eradicate it from my dialect. Although I don't think that it's terribly easy to let it go because it seems like it's stuck like glue to my brain, if you will. "Uh", is another one of them. "Uh", is a creepy crawler, like a snake that doesn't want to let go of its prey. What can I say more about "uh", other than it takes so much more to try to get rid of the word "uh" than it does to say it. "So" what I want to do is get rid of it. How do we get rid of it?

How does one let those "literary transgressions-lt's" go. I don't have an answer at this point. I am afraid of using those words over and over again. Not that I want to, just that they are uninvited. And I am still going in circles. No matter how much I try not to, I am still speaking in circles. Know what I mean? Know what I mean Jean? There are funny little rhymes that we tend to make as maybe a faux pas. "Know what I mean" is another cute little filler. "You know" is "so" badly overused. And because they are "so" overused, it is hard not to say them all the time. Let's try to pull ourselves up by our bootstraps. Now is that a colloquialism or a euphemism? A euphemism is something that you're saying that is nicer than what you could have said. Let's pull ourselves up instead of falling flat on our okole. I am lost in the mire of these words.

No comments: