Friday, April 9, 2010

Memories of the Sweet Scent of the Plumeria Tree

Can you recall a scent that triggered one of your favorite memories? Mine was, undoubtedly, the scent of the plumeria flowers in the haku leis that I used to make for Henry Kapono when he sang in a small venue on Maui in the early '80's. They were memories of the most special kind, because they bring me back to a place in time that I now can only dream about. I wish I could take you there, as it was so vibrant and lovely. I'm at a loss for words to even come close to a way of describing this insanely beautiful memory.

It has been a huge statement coming from my heart, as I had never experienced anything similar ever before. I was positively in love with this new land that I was to call my home.

Stringing my haku leis for Henry Kapono became my gift of Aloha that I made as an offering to this artist from Maui. It was important to me because it was my way of thanking the Islands for their wonderful gift they had given to me - enabling me to merge with nature - beautiful to hold, beautiful to smell. The sweet scent of the plumeria flower on my very tanned skin lead me further into the full Maui experience. It was all a part of it to me because my heart and soul were enraptured with Maui. It gave me a sense of belonging that I could produce and enjoy these gorgeous haku leis that had these wonderful scents - the scents of Hawaii.


No comments: