Friday, April 23, 2010

The Importance of Friendship

What does friendship mean to you? I had quite the opportunity to learn about the meaning of friendship just this afternoon. My trustworthy friend did not show up when I expected her to. I was really frightened. So much so that I wept and felt tremendously alone, a feeling I do not like to experience - ever. This gave me an opportunity to examine myself.

It stands to reason that trust is a really important part of friendship, as we obviously need to trust the people we are embarking on this journey of life with - at least on some level or another. It was a beautiful afternoon on Maui, my beloved home, when I had this experience of feeling like I had no control, of being stuck and totally alone, with only my music and prayer to keep me company.

I suppose that the most important realization I learned is that God is always there so we need not fear being alone.

Another realization I came upon was how lovely it is to have good friends, hopefully in abundance, so I don't have to feel alone, because solitude is not something that I thrive on. In fact, I prefer to have the company of my lovely friends, of which I am blessed to have many. However, when they're not around I feel disconnected and a little lonely.

So how do I solve the problem? I need to feel confident that, no matter what happens, I will always be "covered" by God's love for me, no matter how grim I feel about the circumstances I am experiencing.

I think what I'm really trying not to say is that I, too, have fears that make me very human. I need to always remember that through God's love I am strong and always protected. I can find laughter and great joy if I will just turn around and look so that I will see that it's been there for me all along.

In essence, "Don't worry, be happy."

No comments: