Monday, December 27, 2010

Don't Verb Nouns


It is interesting to listen to the way people speak in their dialect form as there are such "catch phrases" that people pick up on. For example, "it's all good", "don't worry be happy", "no worries", and "absolutely!" I wonder what it is that people are really trying to say. Could it be that our treasured English language or our American dialect has fallen short of where our forefathers always wanted it to be? My opinion is that people have chopped and changed this American dialect to the point where I feel that all the the interest or the intrigue that makes our English language so special is perhaps a bit missing. What I like to see in our chosen language is more intellect instead of shortened and more thoughtless ways of thinking. For instance, have you ever noticed the silly inuendos that are often used instead of intelligent conversation that is mindful of using the beautiful language that we learned when we were in middle school? I missed this so much because it forced us to really use our minds to create more laughter, more silliness, more worldliness, and better grammar.

Everything at this point is "like" something. There are no proper descriptions used. Instead, they're using "it's like" for everything. And therefore people are being lazy about finding better descriptions for what they're actually meaning. That to me is the biggest offender of all. Essentially what I'm saying is "it's like" needs to be almost eradicated out of the dictionary so that it forces people to think about what they really want to say so as to not continue to use the "it's like" version of nearly all descriptions today. To me it's nothing short of bad grammar because it's been so overused. I am certain that true grammarians will thoroughly agree with my belief, I just wish that I could cut and paste most of today's literature so not to include any piece of these above mentioned grammatical mishaps.

No comments: