Thursday, August 6, 2009

Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda


If I coulda, woulda, shoulda; That's what folks always say...

Have any of you out there heard that old and luscious song that Lou Rawls sang a few years back?  Well, I'm here to tell you that it is one of the most profound messages that I can think of to speak about in this blog.

What I think Lou is saying is; if I woulda or if I coulda or ultimately, I shoulda done this thing that I was going to do, than maybe my life would have turned out differently.  
Have there not been times in your life when you just thought, "Gosh, I should have gone to the store before the hurricane hit."  Or, "If I would have just been ten pounds thinner, he would have loved me more."  Or maybe, "If I could have just invested a little more wisely; then I..."

The meaning of this song, I believe; speaks of how we all at some time or other feel like we've made a mistake and could have or should have done something differently so as to have an outcome that would have been far greater than what it turned out to be.  

I know for me, that I have said those words many times, although not so much recently.  Honestly, that song changed my way of thinking in such a big way and I am grateful to that wonderful song writer for choosing those words that helped me to expand my horizons and understand that the way I speak needs to be very well thought out  because what you say may very well become reality if you're not careful.

Ultimately what I believe this is about, is living without regrets.  We must try not to regret a single thing that we do and instead, trust ourselves that it is okay to do, to be and to have those things we create; as those things ultimately become weaved into our life and enrich us, so that we can be who we need to be.

Another thought comes to my mind about my very own mother.  She is forever repeating that she should have done something differently and gets extremely irritated with herself, thus creating an unhappy atmosphere for her to have to live within.   She has lived for eighty-seven beautiful and happy years.  In my estimation she only has reason to click her heels in joy for her tremendous fortune, due to her long and beautiful life.

P.S.  Congratulations Mom, for you have been incredibly blessed.  
Happy Birthday.


No comments: