Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Why I am delighted

I am delighted because god gave me the gift of language. In fact, I love language so much that many of my friends would say language is my strong suit. I love to tell people how well they look, how fun they are to be with, how much I enjoy spending time with them. It gives me so much joy in fact that I just wanted to mention a situation that happened to me one time while I was waiting in line at the gas station. My car's license plate was titled "happy".  And this one fellow who had a kind of sad looking face asked me:"and what do you have to be happy about?".  And I answered, quite simply (and audibly) : "To be alive!" And he looked at me as though I could be insane. But to this day that greeting remains in my mind as a gift to myself and hopefully a gift to him that he remembers years later. It is interesting to ponder how many times that one word, happy, made its way around the world from the back of my license plate.

No comments: