Thursday, November 13, 2008

Learning New Skills


Learning to use my left hand has been a really difficult yet interesting experience as I never knew I would have to become amidexterous someday. While I think it's kind of neat to have learned such a skill, I really would rather have just stayed as a right handed person and left my hand writing to my right hand forever. However, life sometimes brings lemons instead of the lemonade that one kind of expects and therefore we need to remember to be capable of stepping outside of oneself and learning new skills that we may not really feel that we want to learn. 
And so it is for me. I had a massive stroke and lost my eyesight, my ability to walk, my ability to read, to write, to use this computer, and a multitude of other things. But you can see that I have been working really hard to regain much of what I've lost so now I can see with some difficulty. I can read with books on tape. I've learned to walk again with the use of some help from a walker and soon with my physical therapist I will be able to walk alone. It's a hell of a lot of work but all I can say is that I'm doing it and I'm doing it with the best attitude I can muster up. I have high hopes that I will be able to walk without any device. I  laugh with the help of my good friends sitting to my left and to my right (and to my center). And so you see there is life after loss and if you are one of those people who is a survivor like me may I send you my wishes for your every happiness and blessings from above. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You go Girl!!! I love your spirit and enthusiasm... Sounds like you have mad lots of progress at so many levels. Pat yourself on your back and feel proud.

What are you guys doing for Thanks giving? See you next month!

Leanne