Thursday, September 25, 2008

My Kumu Hula (hula teacher)

My kumu hula, Auntie Gordine, otherwise known as my teacher of hula, is a wonderful instructor and dear friend. She is a person who teaches me so much about the history and traditions of hula and the importance of understanding the unwritten language which is important to know if one is to be enriched by the beauty of the Hawaiian Islands as well as the Hawaiian culture - to be enraptured by the Hawaiiana.

There are so many beautiful songs of hula that entice people to learn to sing and dance. Some of my favorites singers and musicians are Kealii Reichel, Makaha Sons of Ni'ihau, Barry Flanagan, and Iz, who is known for his rhythmic telling of stories. While he was alive, Iz weighed about 650 pounds. He still is looked upon as being one of Hawaii's most loved and cherished songwriters.

I get to go to hula class every week and this is something I really look forward to. I highly recommend that everyone has an activity where they look forward to each day with so much joy and enthusiasm!





No comments: