Tuesday, January 15, 2013

"To Everything turn, turn, ............



"To Everything turn, turn, turn. There is a season turn, turn

turn and a time to every purpose under heaven"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6jxxagVEO4

These beautiful words from the song by The Byrds started me thinking about the seasons and what they mean to us all. Although I now live in Hawaii (where we only have two seasons, wet and dry)  I grew up in The San Francisco Bay Area where I  had the opportunity to experience the essence of the four seasons.

My next thought was of the winter and my love for skiing. I skied mostly in Squaw Valley where I was a snow hostess (snow ho). I soon learned an entire snow vocabulary; corn snow, yellow snow(don't eat), soft pack, hard pack, crud. The wonderful world of skiing.

Of course, we had a pool in our backyard so summers were wonderful also but at a certain age - that of becoming a woman - I started to feel self conscious about my budding female body as I think many women do. These teenage years were the start of many challenges. My family moved to Australia when I was fifteen where I was definitely an outsider and returning to the U.S. at age 17 to attend university demanded another life adjustment. At 21 my parents divorced. I had finished university by then but floated jobless for a while still trying to understand who I was and what I wanted for my life.

By 25 I had a successful career,  selling advertising, selling real estate, traveling and making money and at that point I became interested in skiing. By 28 I was an excellent skier and life was great.................

The song and the seasons continue with biblical references.t"A time to plant a time to reap, a time to laugh a time to weep..." I married and gave birth to two wonderful children.  " A time to dance a time to mourn. A time to caste away stones, a time to gather stones together"

I built a beautiful house but in the middle of this season, the stroke I had gave me my ultimate challenge. The original thought of the seasons inspired me to think back on those days when I was flying down the mountain, optimistic and self fulfilled. I have come a long way since that stroke and my goal is to one day get back on the mountain and ski.

I honor you and thank you for reading and following my blogs and leave you with the last words of the song which I hope will engender some musings about the seasons of your life so far..........
"A time to gain a time to lose, a time to rend, a time to sew, a time to love a time to  hate, a time for peace I swear its not too late."




No comments: