Wednesday, June 23, 2010

onomatopoeia



Tongue-tied is a situation we find ourselves in when we are too excited to speak. I would like to speak about one of the more difficult words I have recently learned from the English language. I find it rather exciting because no matter where I have spoken it, I have found that no one can spell it or pronoun it or define it. It is a true word and it is a wonderful word that one can use to glorify or explain or stupify - it really boggles the mind. I would like to pass this fun little word on to you, my reader. I personally love words such as this one, because they most often do that very thing, which is to either stupify or boggle. It also would be very good for a game of Balderdash.
The word to which I am referring is onomatopoeia, pronounced |ˌänəˌmatəˈpēə; -ˌmätə-|. It is a noun which means the formation of a word (e.g., cuckoo, sizzle) by imitation of a sound made by or associated with what is named. The use of such words is for rhetorical effect.


No comments: